Sunday, December 2, 2007

Road life takes you can change in 3 seconds

November 13th of 2007, I was told that my left ovary had to be taken out because of a possible ectopic pregnancy. I was so scared going to the surgery center by myself and sitting in this huge dark room where everyone had someone with them but me. (My husband was in Iraq at the time waiting to fly home, but my surgery was bumped up a week do to complications.) 2pm, the nurses began inserting meds in me as I lay naked on the surgery table with nothing on but this hideous gown and I was asleep.



I woke at 5:30pm with this feeling of being strangled and all I could hear was the doctor telling me to breathe. She began telling me while I was still dilarious as to where I am that the ovary had to be taken out by C-section and there was not a baby in it but a grapefruit size mass that resembled cottage cheese. She said there was nothing to worry about, that more than likely it was benign and I would be fine.



11am on November 14th, another doctor came into my hospital room to explain what was done to me the day before and what was found. In three seconds my life went from hope to despair when she told me I had ovarian cancer. Me? I am 31 years old, a vegetarian and active. I can't have this because I have two small girls and a husband deployed. Needless to say, I hyperventilated for about 5 minutes as this doctor stood next to me starring at me like she was shocked I would act this way. The nurse on duty drugged me with Valium and Percocet so I would chill and not rip the staples from my new incision.



Jumping to today December 2nd, I now know I have a rare Germ Cell Tumor that is usually only found in male testes. Tomorrow I begin an aggressive Chemo treatment where I have to undergo Chemo every day for the first 5 days then once a week for two weeks and then the cycle starts over for 4 cycles. It sucks because I am still in denial and am still wanting this to be a mistake. Cancer does not run in my family anywhere and I have made several life changes through the past 2 years to keep this from happening. My husband is home from Iraq now, but the reserve unit he is with is not allowing him to stay with me through treatments. We are currently fighting this through outside sources so he can be with me, but it does not look promising. I just want to be able to function for my girls and be as well as can be expected through this.

No comments: