Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Am I a boy or a girl?

I started back to school on Monday. I am so self-conscious about being bald, it is pathetic. I feel like I have to explain to people why I am bald. Then they are like, "oh". I am extremely jealous of all these girls I see with long hair like I had. I want to pull a Jan Brady and cut their hair off as they bounce it back and forth. I just am shocked at myself that I feel this way.

Today is Wednesday and I was in class while this 75 year old teacher was doing roll call. She came to my name and said "O'Neill, Kristine" I raised my hand. I kid you not! She did a double take and said "Kristine O'Neill?" I said yes this is me. Then she said "Your name is Kristine?" I just about died of embarrassment because I was sitting in the back and the whole class of about 60 20 year olds was staring at me. Then to make my day better, this teacher said she wanted to put us in ALPHABETICAL ORDER in seating arrangements. I did mention this was Ohio University and not elementary school right? So it took an hour to do this and she moved me THREE times because she kept missing people on the roster. Now, instead of sitting safely in the back away from people I'm in the bleeping front row. I emailed this woman during break and told her my situation and she said nothing about doing a volunteer thing and today she said we have to volunteer in a nursing home for 20 hours. How the hell can I do that when my counts are low? That is a death sentence for me. I am going to see if the social worker at the cancer center will make something up for me b/c this teacher is not the brightest card in the stack and talking with her is like talking to a 2 year old. But I need this class to graduate so I will figure something out.

I started my Neuprogen shots tonight and am already feeling the freakin headache coming on. Melinda told me to drink caffine so Steve bought me a Coke. I have not had caffine in months maybe a year b/c I don't drink soda. So I will probably be pooping later. :) I also was craving pizza like crazy for the past week. I was hoping it would pass, but didn't so I ate 4 slices. SHHHH, don't tell anyone. I will be pooping that out later too, but it was sooooooo goooood!!!

I had chemo yesterday, the Bleo shot and my counts were still good. My WBC was 2.5 but my hemoglobin did not budge at all from last week. It is still 9.8 so Ivy said I will probably get another shot next week to bring it up. My eyebrows are finally going and so are my eyelashes. I wake up in the morning with a few in the corner of my eye, which is very comfortable. Not much else going on yet. I have my week chemo next week and my friend from KC, Adrienne is flying in to help which is exciting. My other friend Jasmin sent me a care package which was all too exciting of Special K protein water, Luna bars, awesome thick lotion for my head, vitamins and fun slippers. Thanks Jazz!

If anything exciting happens, I will write later

1 comment:

nat said...

Oh my - what a teacher! That had to be uncomfortable for you.

I am sure that the whole class has an idea whats happening, and probably are in total awe of you for continuing on even through the chemo! Wow! You will be inspiring to many in that class I am sure.

You are smart to be very careful with your health. I'm sure your doc would write a note for you - I would worry about a nursing home too. Even if the patients aren't sick, there are a lot of germs as you well know.

It sounds like you have great friends too - I'm envious of your comfy slippers ;)

Have a great weekend Kristine- I hope you feel good for it!